Native Forward Scholars Fund provides financial assistance to BIE scholarship recipients to participate in summer internships. This financial assistance is established to offset costs directly associated with participation in approved internships with the Department of Interior (Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Indian Education, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, Bureau of Trust Funds Administration, National Park Service, Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Geological Survey, etc.) or other approved internships directly related to STEM. This award covers travel costs, including the cost to travel to accept the internship, eligible living expenses, and daily commuting costs to travel to and from the internship location. Roundtrip travel, housing, and commuting costs will be considered (documentation for itemized costs must be submitted).
- Applicants must be currently funded by:
- Loan for Service (LFS)
- Special Higher Education Program (SHEP)
- Science Post Graduate Scholarship Fund (SPGSF)
- Exclusive consideration will be given to students participating in internship opportunities offered by Department of Interior (DOI) agencies
- STEM related internships with other organizations will also be considered
- Internships must be directly related to STEM
- Applicants must find their own internship or training position at an eligible DOI or STEM organization
- Submit a letter confirming acceptance from an internship site
- Submit receipts for expenses incurred
Contact our Scholarship Operations team at Scholarships@NativeForward.org.