Finding the Right College
Finding the right college is not only about finding the institution that you want to study at, it’s also about finding your home away from home for the next four to five years.
Preparing for College
It's Important to Apply to Many Different Colleges
While you may have in mind what your dream university is, it’s important for you to cast a wide net and apply to different colleges and universities. There are different types of colleges and universities that caters to all types of students. These types of institutions also come with various Costs of Attendance, Degree Types, Support Services, and Campus Housing.
Each of these types of institutions offer unique educational experiences. Before applying explore your options and determine what is the best fit for you.
The most common types of colleges and universities that Native students look at are:
1. Tribal Colleges and Universities
2. Community Colleges
3. State Universities
4. Private Universities
5. Ivy League Institutions
Use this Tool:
You can use this the Big Future portal provided by our partners at College Board to help you search and compare colleges and universities.
Take Into Consideration:
- How far away from home the institution is?
- How much will it cost to attend that institution? (How much will you and your family be responsible for paying or how much financial aid need will you need
- Do they have a Native community and Native student support services?
- Do they have the majors that you are interested in? Does the institution have good retention, graduation, and job placement rates?
- Do they have campus housing and if so what type?
- Do you see yourself at that institution?